View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
Library= directories= source of vacuum-form plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohour View Post
Meh its hard to use cardboard when we're in the rainy portion of summer. It takes me about a week to use a tank of gas, and I would like to slap on 4 aero pieces in the first go. Well Five Aero pieces, 4 are fiberglass products (in my mind at least).

The coroplast seems like an interesting way to build forms for fiberglass though. I am wonder where is a good place to source or individual pieces? I did some quick search and I can buy it by the pallet, but thats a little excessive.

I also know there is a certain type of hobby plastic that works well for vacuum forming, but I need to look that up again. I think vacuum forming over some simple carved foam shapes will yield an item that is replaceable (stones, birds, jackass in parking lots). Not to mention lightweight as well!
A local library can provide directories for commercial business operations in your local.
Look for a business which deals with vacuum-formed ABS plastic sheet who will sell you small quantities.This sort of material is not sold retail and typically you must be a business to obtain it.It is sold by the pound.In 1986 it was about $2.35/lb.
An electric oven can be constructed at home,along with perforated wooden tooling affixed to a vacuum table.
A small air conditioning vacuum pump from a pawn shop can be used to charge an accumulator tank.A foot-operated air-valve will communicate the large volume of vacuum flow to the vacuum table.
Typically,the ABS is secured to a rigid framework,is pre-heated,then sent to the oven.When it achieves sag,it it quickly transferred to the table,quick-clamped down,all along it's periphery,then the valve is opened,drawing the plastic down over the tooling.
In about 30-seconds the part can be removed and taken to a router station where it is positioned over a trim-jig which guides the router,cutting away the flash.
Remember,you cannot have any straight,90-degree walls on your pattern.A certain amount of 'draft' is required for a proper 'release' after cooling or your part will stick.And freeing it can damage or destroy your precious tooling.