View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #120 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
stuffing the wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
I have some ideas I'll post later, I've been messing with the Flow Illustrator and I have to say I'm not encouraged. It seems like the roundness or the roof is pulling down on the air pretty hard, and the roof spoiler isn't big enough to be effective and I have it out to about 10" now. I didn't think a half Kamm back would be needed. And, the big wing located at the base of the wind screen seems to smooth things out, however, there is still the issue of the air dropping too quickly and I believe it is creating a large low pressure area.

BTW: In researching the big wing Idea, I came across that Ernie Rogers guy, he's all over the place on his numbers, look into it, he has like 4-5 things out there and they all say something different, makes me a little worried.

The little ebay prefab roof spoiler would be I think worthless.

I'll put up a bunch of stuff soon.
If you'll take a look at the thread for the Chrysler Airflow you'll notice,that by adding no length,but by merely stuffing the wake of the body,to flesh it out more like a truncated K-form,they dropped the Cd by about 11%.
The Beetle would fair about the same,as both cars share the same pseudo-Jaray fastback which is WAY too 'fast'.
Had Breer pushed the Airflow's roofline up higher,closer to the template,the drag would have been even lower.