View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Properly drainning my trans?

Hello everyone,

I am going to change out my trans fluid to a synthetic type and am wondering how to properly drain the darn thing. I have a 97 Ford Ranger 5 speed manual w/OD. (M5OD ?) Now there is some question as to it already having synthetic in it because supposedly Ford switched from Mercon ATF (mine does take the ATF) to Mercon V (which is synthetic) in 1997. Doesn't really matter because I have 175k miles on it and it needs changed anyhow.

My question is how can I effectively get all (or as much as possible) of the old fluid out. What the "shops" are charging for a power flush is outrageous ($125+) and I would rather do it myself. If I just start pushing new fluid in the top, would this be akin to a "low power" flush?

As a second question: What would you forums regulars recommend for new fluid? I am considering the Mercon synthetic, mainly because Ford did make it for their trans. or Royal Purple ATF. I have heard some good things about the RP products. Unless there are any better choices that I haven't heard of yet.

Thanks for all your advice.