View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monark
EcoModding Lurker

1987 e30 project

Hello,

I'm relatively new to try to improve mpgs. I've been dabbling in some hypermiling techniques and very light modifications in order to get better mpgs. I've managed to get 29 mpgs out of my 2006 pontiac gto which I was kind of proud of since it is a big, heavy, high horsepower automobile. Although, I'm sure many here can do much better in much worse cars.

My daily driver is a 1987 bmw 325. It has the 2.7L eta engine which is supposed to be better on mpgs than the regular 2.5L i engine. Its been decent to me averaging 25-30 mpgs without much a problem.

However, come September I'll be clocking +/- 600 miles a week for work. I want to make the most out of this. At the current situation we're talking 20-25 gallons a week. So 50-65 bucks a week. I'd like to set out on a goal of getting a fairly consistent 40+ mpgs out of it. But 35+ is already a good start. The good news is I'll be doing about 85% (maybe even more) of my driving on the highway. I was wondering what advice you guys in all your genius could throw my way. An unfortunate bit of news, my front spoiler/air dam/whatever that goes under my front bumper was the victim of a stray roofing tar bucket. It was absolutely destroyed.

Should I hit up home depot and engineer one the shoots the air off to the sides or should I make it so its curved and long going inwards. Or even try to glue together the old one (its in like 6-7 pieces) and put it back in place?

Thank you for reading.