View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #616 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
Out here, it's cattle trailers. Slightly more odiferous, but after smelling exhaust all day, a pleasant respite.
Rant warning

At least those trailers have a purpose. Caravans have no purpose except to block roads and frustrate other road users.

I know caravaners would claim to pull in every now and again to let people past. Nowadays it rarely happens in my experience on the roads in the North of Scotland - with few if any overtaking places. The last person I know pulling a caravan who did that was my dad who pulled one behind a 1200 Beetle with 45 bhp in 1975 - aka see Scotland in 2nd gear. He didn't learn because we repeated the experience in a 1275cc Austin Metro with all of 62 bhp, so it was 3rd gear.

And if you do make it past them its all flashing lights and beeping horns - how dare you not want to be behind their 2 ton white plastic box on wheels?

And why caravan anyway ? At least camping properly in a tent is comuning with nature with the associated experience - cold, wet and so on. All you get in a caravan is that experience plus the endless tap tap tap on the roof from the rain, stupidly cr@p cooking arrangements thanks to bottled gas, oh and a chemical toilet.

As Armstrong and Miller would say - Kill Them....