Thread: UK Meets?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
eco30BMW
EcoModding Lurker

Heidi - '85 BMW 325e M20B27
LPG sounds like quite a project. Were you going to go full LPG or leave yourself the option to run on petrol?

I bet the M30 would haul some ass in that car. Over here the most popular swap is to the S52 but I gather that was only for the US/Canada market.

First I've got some general restoration/repair stuff to do. The previous owner installed the driveshaft with all the bolts facing the same way on the guibo and no collar to keep the two halves together. What a dumbass. So that started vibrating and ripped the center support bearing apart. The front hubs need replacing and I'll do the brakes while I'm at it. Clean the injectors, new vacuum hoses, etc.

After that, I'll put it on H&Rs and Bilsteins for a ~30-40 mm drop. Do a little aero cleanup: wheel spats, side skirts, grill block, clean up the area around the spare tire, and steal the rear wing off a 325es. I know the car's popularly known as 'The Flying Brick' but I don't think the aero's that bad to begin with, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten the mpg they did when stock. Then Megasquirt it with wasted spark ignition and run it as lean as I can get away with. The cooling system is so over-engineered I've never seen mine above the middle tick on the temp gauge.

From what I've read about the rallies, if your car's got too much kit on it they shove you in a 'modified' class and you're not really competing with anyone. So I'll probably do my resto/repairs and drop it for next May and then go from there.

Best of luck to you. They're so rewarding to work on, and great fun to drive, but it becomes an addiction very very quickly. More people must be getting wise to it, too; a clean 325is can now run you $5-5.5K here. The one saving grace is that since so many people have destroyed theirs on the track there's a lot of cheap parts available.