View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Hey fellow Michigander. Thankfully we don't have vehicle inspections and all that. I've been pulled over twice for my tailpiece. (Gotta link to a pic for ya, but dialup is just killing me and it's gonna take me over an hour just to check this forum). Once was after dark and I didn't have my license plate light on yet. He said no problem and was more interested in the mod and the mpg difference. 2nd time was Memorial day weekend, there were cops galore out, they looked bored, and they said it was because I didn't have a rear bumper. I think they were more interested in the mod and the mpg increase too. I showed them I had a factory rear bumper and it was just an extension for gas mileage. Both times they were reasonable, they weren't nasty. I said it was solid and they pushed it around a bit to confirm. And I did offer to remove it once I got home if it was really a problem, that probably helped too. There was another one the other day that followed me as I was going to work, I pulled into the gas station to get some snacks for the day, then got out and went into the store. I expected him to stick around and say something, but I saw him drive off after about 10 seconds. So out of the 2 stops I've had, I've been passed by at least 50 that never said anything so I guess that's a pretty good track record. None of them ever said anything about when I drove around with the snowplow I built for my 6000 wagon either. After all this is Michigan, 2x4 rear bumpers, crumbled front ends held together with ratchet straps, pickups with homemade boxes, cars cobbled onto 4x4 truck frames.... Considering a lot of stuff I see, mine is quite a bit better.

So I'd just make something with all legal lights, license plate, make it removable without too much effort and don't remove any factory structure from the car. Maybe put a bumper on it so they don't have a reason to inspect further for that. And make it SOLID. I think the main thing when they see a homemade job is they don't want something that's going to come loose and kill someone. At least that's what I'd be looking for anyway.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
The Following User Says Thank You to wagonman76 For This Useful Post:
ShadeTreeMech (07-31-2010)