View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #619 (permalink)
Laurentiu
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
He-he...British country roads are in their own league, I've never seen such narrow roads.
I lived in N. Devon for a short while myself and it was unbelievable how narrow the country road was, and it's not one way either....when you meet somebody, one has to reverse and pull into one of the "appendices" every 1/8 of a mile or so. The craziest thing...when I was living there, didn't have a car so I used to take a bus to Bideford , the nearest town and that bus was almost full size !! Both sides the paint was scraped because of the hedges. And the driver stopped few times and went out to chase the pheasants out of the way. Hilarious but at the same time I kinda liked it. The scariest was the "main" road - not the motorway which was going thru the woods, narrow as hell and people would be driving quite fast there was barely space to pass each other and when you met the occasional lorry it felt very weird...are we gonna make it ??

Here's a video to get an idea for you folks over the pond blessed with very wide roads most places (I know coz I lived in FL for a while, as well):

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford

Last edited by Laurentiu; 07-26-2010 at 12:11 PM..