View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Pulse & Glide Shifting for 04 Civic VTEC

OK, So I gots me a new (to me) 2004 Civic EX:

Ain't she Purdy?

I want to get the best mileage possible. (within reason) Reading through everything, I have come to understand that in town, Pulse & Glide is the way to scoot about. I have been toying with this and am amazed at what a great glider I have. Now reading posts about other cars, I have come to understand, that I want to accelerate at rather high throttle, 75%, till I get to a speed about 5 mph over the speed limit then coast in neutral (engine on, 5 spd Manual) till a few mph under the speed limit.
My question is.....What RPM should I be shifting?
Givin that I have a VTec engine, and as best I can tell, a power curve like this:

Research has led me to believe, the Vtec function basically activates at 4300RPM fully opening 1 of the 2 intake valves which previously was only opening partially. The other intake valve goes fully open all the time. The 2 exhaust valves open equally the same always.

My guess is if I keep it at 70 or so on the highway, (When legal) I'll be getting OK mileage without feeling too much like the old man I'm starting to become. I made a trip 2 weeks ago and got 40mpg doing 71mph or so over 280 miles. I think it would be madness to pulse & glide cross country for hours on end, So I'm going to be content to just set the cruise control and kick back.

I have another question regarding hills, being I'm in Montana, I do run across a few gentle inclines from time to time. What is my strategy on these? If I'm on the highway, I don't mind fiddling about on climbs to get the most MPGs. I'd be willing to slow down, shift gears, & such.

What would be my most fuel efficient way to handle uphills & corresponding downhills?

I know ScanGauge is wanting to be mentioned, but I'm just too much of a tightwad to spring the $150 right now for it. For the 10% gain I figure I could get, it would take 25,000 miles of driving for it to break even. I'm sure I'll get one, just not real soon. I'll keep reminding myself that I'm likely pissing away an entire gallon of fuel with every fill up, and I'll eventually crack.

Aeromods are for another post. I just want to hear how I'm supposed to drive this Pup.

Thanks!