View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I got this from this ford truck forum. There is also ; it's for a Honda transaxle, but move the shape of the parts around, and it's the same exact thing you'll be encountering. It sounds pretty typical of a manual transmission, and I would recommend Royal Purple; from all I've heard, people swear by them, and they stand by their product.

Where he mentions a kerosene pump, a fuel siphon pump would serve the same purpose.

Quote:
Changing Fluid In M5OD 5 Speed Manual Transmission
Quote:
I'm typing this up to let you guys know what and what not to do when changing the fluid in your M5OD transmission.I just changed mine this afternoon and replaced it with Mercon V ATF.It shifts smoother than ever.So,I'm going to give you some tips on the easy way of doing things.

Of course,the fill and drain taps on the transmission are on the driver's side.So,get on your creeper and crawl under.First of all,you'll need the following to do this the easy way:

1) Ratchet fitted with a 15/16" socket.
2) Drain Pan
3) 5 quarts of ATF that you choose. (Personally,I would get the Mercon V,but that' up to you).
4) Creeper
5) Kerosene Hand Pump

Now that you're under the truck,slide your oil drain pan under with you,placing it under the drain tap.Now,take your ratchet and loosen the fill plug.If it's adequately filled,fluid should run out of that hole once the plug is removed.Second,take out the drain plug.Let it drain until it stops dripping.While it's doing that,you're going to want to inspect the magnet at the tip of the drain plug.There will probably be a few metal shavings on it,along with some 'sludge',so just clean it off and set it aside.

Now,when the drain stops dripping,reinstall the drain plug,tightening only a little over hand tight.Just enough to make sure that it doesn't leak.Now..From here on,you're going to want your fill plug close at hand.Now,take your first quart of ATF and take the cap off.The Kerosene Pump that I mentioned is available at Wal-Mart in the heater section.If you can't find it,a WM employee will be glad to assist you .It's basically a rigid plastic tube on one end with a hand pump at the top.Then,there's a flexible plastic hose coming from the pump.This is how you're going to get your fluid from the bottle to the transmission without spilling a drop...Hopefully.Insert the flexible hose into the fill tap of the transmission and the rigid end into the bottle of fluid.Then,start pumping.The fluid should transfer from the bottle to the transmission with no problems.

I believe that my M5OD held around 3 quarts.But,I would at least get 4 when I went to the parts store,just in case.If I were you,I would get 5 just to be safe,especially if this is your only vehicle.When the transmission is considered 'full',fluid will be running out of the fill tap.At that instant,remove the hose and screw in the plug.Tighten it the same as you did the drain plug.Then,recheck both plugs.

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've just changed your M5OD Transmission Fluid!!

I hope this helps.Sorry this is so long,but I wanted to help as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.