Thread: Just lurking...
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
EcoModding Lurker

My Chevy Duramax - '04 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Economy tune -- cool stuff. It's seems like theres a pretty big aftermarket for Diesel tech -- is this the case?

There's just something about a finely tuned turbo-D (and the sound)
I saw on a Dodge yesterday "Smoke Doesn't mean it's Broke"

Not sure if you had a chance to see the PINKS episode with the 10-second Ram 4x4. What a machine.

RH77
Yeah, there's a HUGE after market for diesel engines. And it gets about as techy as you can imagine. Starts with programmers, and goes to CAI, various exhausts, propane injection, water/meth injection (my next step ), nitrous, and then you get into the twin turbos, etc. There's a guy out in SoCal that is putting more than a thousand rear wheel horsepower down... and getting 32+ mpg's. I got into this last July, and I tell ya, it's addictive.

Just added a 4" exhaust the other day (cat delete)... and now the turbo whine never ends... the truck sounds like a jet helicopter engine spooling up.

Didn't see the PINKS episode... but there are lots of YouTube movies of quick diesel trucks - look for one called the world's fastest Duramax. Simply amazing.

Just your average 7,000 lb 4-wheel drive 22 mpg eco modder...

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain