Thread: Air Density
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
mluckham
EcoModding Lurker

I'm a glider pilot - yaw strings assist us to operate the rudder properly for best coordinated flight and minimizing drag. But they don't provide a number readable by an Arduino!

Test aircraft which might be flying in a yawed condition use a swivelling probe with a fin, but I think the important data for a ground vehicle will be obtained by readings straight ahead.

I have a dual-port pressure transducer from Freescale MPXV5010DP which measures 0-1.45 PSI and provides a differential measurement (dynamic and static ports) in a suitable mounting arrangement. I read that 1 PSI = 235 mph, so it may have too wide a range such that the noise figure or ADC conversions make it hard to measure lower airspeed very accurately. Here's another reference Airspeed

Doviat's comment
Quote:
I guess you could use it to help justify your bad run or tank in all headwinds driving. ;-)
is about at my level. But if you could use the data to correct for air resistance and get a corrected mileage figure, it should then be possible to make small improvements on the car and see the difference. As it is now, one needs to drive quite a distance to do so - or wait for times of no wind.

Interesting about measuring the vacuum behind the vehicle as well.