View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
I read this or probably similar news a while ago. Putting more responsibility on the driver does work sometimes and roundabouts are really helpful. I see in many European countries roundabouts are replacing 4-way intersections.
In Hungary in the last decade or so they replace more and more intersections with roundabouts. I, personally, like them (especially when I'd like to turn around for some reason), they mostly work well (except that many drivers don't use their turn signals as they would have to), but 2-lane roundabouts are really problematic, very few drivers use the inner lane because they're afraid of getting stuck because of those who want to turn left yet choose to stay in the outer lane for that 3/4 turn (because they're afraid of getting stuck in the inner lane, and so on, and so on...) - this is why those 'turbo' roundabouts have been invented. They're pretty rare here at the moment, and I haven't seen any of them yet, but I'm really curious. They should work well. Especially when people get used to them (I've heard that some get confused when they meet them).

On a sidenote, once I met a driver going in the wrong direction in a roundabout, just in front of me. It was quite an appalling experience