View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Bumpers at the rear of the vehicle are required, and they must not be higher than 22" for a passenger car. The bottom of the license plate must be at least 12" above the ground.

I understand that, but what is the "12 inch Frame Height" they mention? Is that the largest permissible lift block between body and frame? :-P

It sounds to me like you have two reasonable options with aerodynamic devices. Say that they are part of the car and include a bumper and lamps at the rear, or say they are cargo and keep them under 48" long. I doubt you could squeeze the latter past the courts unless it was attached in an obviously temporary manner.

But I have a philosophy: If there's an unenforced or unenforcable law that you can break without hurting anyone, go right ahead.

The law requires a "...bumper or other energy absorption system with an analogous function which bumper or system is securely bolted or permanently attached on both the front and rear of the vehicle. The bumper or energy absorption system shall be maintained in good operational condition...". I propose an energy-absorbing matrix: Four feet of aluminium frame horns, then three inches of aluminium bumper, then three feet of fiberglass and foam.