View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zerohour
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
A Quest for 35mpg (Subaru Outback Limited Sedan 2.5L auto)

No tall order for you guys with your Metros and Insights, but how about us with AWD and a beastly 225 wide tire.

2001 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan 2.5L auto, originally rated at 19 City / 25 HWY.

Current Mods:
1) Air intake resonator Delete (sure helps climb hills)
2) Non-ethanol Gas (Thus fair providing 7-8% over ethanol @ 1-2% more cost)
3) Driving habits
4) General Maintenance, new plugs, new PCV, regular oil chances, synthetic diff fluid (front & rear)

Last fill up 28.25 mpg, but this had a decent highway trip involved. Normal commuting comes in around 26-26.5mpg with gas friendly driving habits.

Planned Mods, all Aero:
1) Front wheel, air deflectors. Factory bumper is not as wide as tires
2) Front Bumper Lower air intake Delete - wasted factory hole, which really does not provide air into the engine bay.
3) Lower air dam, cover small bit of the engine/crossmember alot a bit of the tires. hopefully formed with a curved architecture to move air around the front.
4) Cone Covers for Side mirrors. Subaru found it apparent to stick with the Off-Road Look by equipping truck-sized mirrors on the Outback (look a pic)
5) Transparent Foglight covers. Those deep pockets can't be good for aero.
6) Rear Wheel Skirts (maybe)
7) Replacing factory muffler and unequal length header to give a little bit more uff to the car. AWD+Auto robs the factory 165HP from the 2.5L H4. I wouldn't be surprised if the car only puts 100HP to the ground. Being in PA that makes alot of issues with climbing hills. Which cause constant downshift, loss of momentum, and higher RPMs

Planning on trying to get #1 on the car this weekend, and building/maybe installing #2 as well.

I know you guys love your coroplast, but I have no access to it. I'll be using fiberglass to building my parts.