View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
sl2eggplant
Aspiring EcoModder

Eggy - '99 Saturn SL2
90 day: 43.7 mpg (US)
I'll give the HAI another try probably in two weeks but I need to stabilize my mpg on my current setup and get a baseline for engine timing and load on the scangauge. I am expecting 48 +/- 1 mpg with the stock intake and no other changes to the car at the moment.

I've had the HAI in the car for at least 2 months in different configurations with temps from 100 - 240 depending on traffic. I definitely think most or all of the gains that I thought were from the HAI were actually from improved hypermiling. My thought is while I may be using less gas with the HAI, I have less power (obvious) so I need more throttle to maintain my speed (60 mph). Another thought is my car's pcm is just plain stupid.

About the gas pump error. The pump only had one little clicker thing to set at while most pumps I seen have 3 clicker things to set your gas flow. The gas was flowing in much faster than normal so it stopped at 8.2 gallons (~48.7 mpg). At that time, I knew that I was going to do much worse than expected and continued to pump once more and it stopped at 8.7 (~46 mpg) gallons. While the pump error is there, I'm pretty sure I topped off to what I normally do at my other gas station or pumped less than normal due to the high pump flow. Either way, I definitely burned more gas this round with the HAI and the scangauge erroneously inflated my mpg.