View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
TheEnemy
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike4miles View Post
My commute is 30 miles a day round trip. about 50% freeway (65-75 mph) and another 30% highway (55 mph) and only about 2 stops on the way. I don't have much loss due to stop and go. I need to reduce my high speed MPG. I waste a lot of gas in the summer from running the AC. It is so hot here! I turn it off while accelerating from a stop but otherwise it says on all the time lately (85F in the morning, 105F in the daytime).

I do not have to stomp the gas like I used to in order to hit 75 after mods so far.

The truck is a 5 speed manual.

Next thing I might try is adding some extra air to the tires. They are at factory recommendation now. I don't want a rough ride however. I am already pushing that envelope after lowering it. Still tuning the bump stops.
Red in the desert, I'm suprised its not sunburnt.

I have almost exactly the same truck, white extracab with jump seats.

I can't do much to the back end of mine as I use it as a truck pretty regularly, and haven't found anything that wouldn't be a hassle.

The front however has lots of room for improvement. I haven't done anyting to it yet.

I am planning on starting with a scangauge, that way I can actually monitor the engine temperature. I don't get as hot as you, but I still hit tripple digits, so cooling is a worry for me too.

My other plans are upper grill block, ducting the lower grill to spread the air over the whole radiator. Electric fan. Also if you look at the engine bay you will notice that there is not much room for air to flow once its gotten through the radiator, most of the flow will be on the drivers side and out the bottom. I have been looking at the inside wheel wells for places to cut to let air out better which would improve the flow through the engine bay and should improve cooling. Between that, the improvements to the lower grill, and the electric fan cooling should actually improve.

Moving the headlights out even with the grill. Blocking off the auxiliary light holes with something, possibly aux lights, the holes point at the front tires.