View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
davidgrey50
Cogito Ergo Ecomod

Dobbin - '04 Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 A/T
I'm Canadian, and a few years ago, my (English) wife and I lived in England for a year-and-a half. We took one of our cars, a Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt automatic (LHD) with us. While the car was having a few necessary tweaks made to make it legal, we bought a 5-speed Vauxhall to drive. I had never driven a manual before, never driven on the left, and never seen a roundabout. Driving on the left was an easy adjustment, which perhaps shows how much we all tend to go with the flow. Roundabouts you only blow once, then you've got it. Learning to drive manual took a couple of lessons with a good instructor, a bit of practice, then no problem.

After all this, a few observations: driving on the left or right makes no difference. Surprisingly, which side the steering wheel is on makes no difference - you're closer to this line, further from that line. Europeans generally pay more attention to their driving and have much better car-control skills, perhaps due to cars which are more involving to drive, manual transmissions being the norm, also lots of high-speed roads, and not just highways. And in England at least, very, very, narrow streets - you've got to be able to place your car accurately.

Roundabouts? Love 'em! Write your local authorities and ask for them by name.