View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Meph
EcoModding Lurker

240Z - '73 Datsun 240Z 240Z
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
My 1973 240z - mods (Pics! :D)

Here's my end result of about a weeks work, on and off. The goal was to reduce the Cd of the Z without taking away from the classic lines.

Ill start with a picture of the car before modification for comparason

Pay close attention to the front airdam as thats where most of modification has taken place.

Here's a shot of the front end after modification

I know the lighting wasnt very good, but overall I feel ive stay true to the styling and not degraded the overall look and feel.

Now heres the same shot highlighting the areas of interest

Blue- Air flow in, there is a 6" x 6" passage for air to the rad

From the bottom up
-Disk vents, blocked
-Lower Grill block from the airdam to the bumper
-Partial upper grill block (will be more visable in other pics)

From here we move into the engine bay

First off, u see the top of the rad has been sealed to prevent airflow around, on both the sides and top.

The upper grill blocks can be seen

Below the upper grill block the airflow to the rad has been "sealed" air is directed to the radiator and blocked from entering the engine bay any other way. This will pool up air at speed creating a pocket and sending more air around the contour of the car. Black fiber board can be seen running from the bumper down to the bottom of the rad in this picture here

Finally, a partial "Belly pan" had been fitted to the air dam, it runs from the front of the dam to appx the rad support

Thanks guys,

I hope this was entertaining for a minute or two of your time. Similar modifications have been shown to lower Cd from .47 to .39, a step in the right direction whether it be for MPG or MPH. If anyones interested the cars powered by a Toyota 1jz and holset turbo

Comments welcome!