View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
evilskillit
EcoModding Lurker

The Spec - '03 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
90 day: 30.74 mpg (US)
Sentra Spec-V Joining the club

Hey everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt and I have a 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec-V. Its the sporty model. My first love is performance, but I also enjoy saving money and understand that good economy when commuting and performance aren't mutually exclusive.

I live in the Kansas City metro area. I commute about 40 miles a day total. 90% of that is highway. I could take a 34 mile commute on side streets instead, but there are a lot of stop lights.

EPA average for my car is apparently about 24. I reset my trip meter every time I fill up. When I divide my miles by my gallons on fill up I'm usually around 28.5, 32 being my personal best and 25 being my worst.

I would like to start working on getting even better mileage, I know its possible. I have a few caveats tho. I bought the car based on its performance and value, I'm not going to sacrifice any performance. I know there are however a lot of things you can do to improve economy and performance.

I bought the car new, am the first owner and still have a lot of respect for its looks so I won't be able to bring myself to do smooth wheel covers, rear wheel arch covers, boat tails or anything like that

Fist, along with getting some kind of nice MPG instrumentation I think I would like to start working on some sort of under tray and maybe front end opening blocking (especially if I can find a separate bumper to work on and then install.

After I get 5 posts I'll put an image up somewhere for people who don't know what the 2003 Spec-V looks like. (from what I've read on the site its slipperier than I would have thought.