View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Arminius -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
I don't know how they sell/sold, but I wouldn't say they're "girly", even if they are considered "cute" by some. I do know that I would rather drive something that looks "cool" rather than "girly" - all other things being the same.
I think the Neon was cute. It was even marketed that way (the "Hi" campaign).

Looking Back - Dodge Neon - Oct 7th 2005
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/10/07/l...ck-dodge-neon/
Quote:
Before the Neon began its formative years, it spent a lot of time traveling with its parent company around the auto show circuit. The 1990 Dodge Neon Concept was a pleasant little sedan with an arched roofline and an open-top roof, as well as four doors that slid opened parallel to the car creating an appearance of four minivan-like sliding doors. It had two adorable round headlamps and four "bubble" wheels that made everyone go "Aww... that's cute."
The 1995 Dodge Neon had so much potential when it was introduced in 1994 with a simple "Hi." ...
At the near end-stage of product development, they deliberately kept the oval headlights, which were part of the original concept design :

(I see a proto-new-beetle roofline, but that's just me)

I think Lee Iacocca or some other mucky-muck made sure that the "cute" headlights stayed. It was a paper article, so I don't know where to find it. I wish the original concept had been more faithfully rendered in the real Neon (designed to be almost 100% recyclable), but the real Neon was a nice small car.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society