View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Didn't hobbit also do some testing that showed inverter coolant temps rarely get high enough to do damage to the inverter?
If so, I hadn't seen it but then he is admirably prolific.

I had been under the impression that an inverter pump failure would reveal itself by throwing an inverter temperature code. But now I'm not so sure based upon a North Carolina and Oregon report. Plus, I'm living through 100F (35C) days in Alabama. This is compounded by a specific failure mode in the NHW11 of the 12V DC-to-DC converter.

It looks like the 12 V DC-to-DC converter in the NHW11 assembly is located at the bottom of housing. But I don't have any more details such as coolant flows adjacent to that part. There have been at least two Prius whose DC-to-DC converter failed yet they could drive . . . their drive electronics are still working.

I don't know how far I'll get. If I can get a salvage, 2010 inverter pump for under $100, I'll probably 'do the the experiment.' Then we'll know if the mechanically sounder, 2010 inverter pump will work. But I was seriously surprised to find I could barely hear my current pump even with the hood up.

Bob Wilson