Thread: Worth a shot..
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
FX2.3
Saving Those Greenbacks

Snowy - '02 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 23.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
It is cost-effective to add or trade to a small car as a commuter, or are you locked into the Ranger?

Otherwise:
  • Lose the lift and lower if you can
  • Go with the smallest tire/wheel combo
  • Calculate spoiler placement carefully
  • Consider frontal and side aero treatments

Step #1: Reduce top speed and learn driving techniques to maximize fuel economy.

Figure shift points for your automatic to either lift-to-shift or allow the vehicle to do so "automatically". Best FE to you.

RH77
I am a college student so another vehicle is beyond my means and the sentimental value to me does not allow me to trade as it is my first vehicle and I baby it.. Besides, I like modding what I have as it started out as a basic work truck with only automatic, A/C, Cloth seats, and a rear window slider as options..

1. lowering is cheap, all I need is new coils, put on the stock spindles, and some grade 8 bolts to flip the rear hangers.. around $70 total plus install..

2. tires on the other hand are a tad more expensive then lowering but are needed before I can lower as I could not fit these 31" tires stock.. I need to find a nice set of stock size alloys around 15x7 to fit smaller tires..

3. The spoiler will depend on how it is mounted, Im not sure if something stuck on with double sided tape could do much good?

4. I had a billet grille but felt I out grew that phase.. Not sure if that would have helped with the aero or not.. I know the heavy diamond plate skid plate I installed does not help more than the stock plastic one did..

Thanks for the help! I will change my driving habits as it is free to do and see how much that changes my mpg..

Is that 38mpg on the 03 hwy or mixed?