View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
evilskillit
EcoModding Lurker

The Spec - '03 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
90 day: 30.74 mpg (US)
On the hilly road that goes east from my house and connects me to the city where my parents live and where I used to work the speed limit is 55. I'll usually just use 6th gear the whole way when I get to the top of the first hill I'll get up to 65 or 70 going down it and bleed off back down to 50-55 by the top of the next hill and repeat. You could probably do a bit better gas mileage wise by keeping the speed a bit lower but those speeds seem to be perfect for keeping from bogging the engine and be able to go up the back side of each hill without having to add any throttle or down shift. Obviously you have to speed a bit, which I'm aware isn't condoned but on a road with a lot of hills thats how I do it.

What do you do if you hit a stop sign at the bottom of a hill or have to go up a mountain? Use your Scangauge I suppose, if you have one. Like most people say best results would probably be yielded by getting the highest gear you can and then keep the engine just above the point where it is dying just to keep moving.