View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilskillit View Post
What do you do if you hit a stop sign at the bottom of a hill
I swear...?
I can't do much more than to coast or force DFCO to the stop sign if I behold it when I crossed the crest
Of course if I know that it's there I won't pulse before the decline

Quote:
or have to go up a mountain?
If it's steep enough I just climb up at a speed that matches the bends, in the highest possible gear, just as I described above.And then may take a pulse at the top. If the decline is steep enough, it's not necessary.
If the incline isn't steep I may P&G upwards too, then coast down after the final pulse at the crest.

Quote:
Use your Scangauge I suppose, if you have one. Like most people say best results would probably be yielded by getting the highest gear you can and then keep the engine just above the point where it is dying just to keep moving.
I don't have a SG as I can't connect it to anywhere

Anyway, I just don't dare to let the single cylinder engine rev too low, it's prone to pinging under the revs I mentioned above (~2000-3000, depending on the gear, the incline and the extra weight (e.g. passenger)).
I know that, for example, on level road it can accelerate from under 2000rpm in 4th (with firm throttle, does not need WOT), but I never do it deliberately, it sounds suspicious to me under ~2500 (like a little jackhammer or so).

Last edited by alvaro84; 08-04-2010 at 10:43 AM..