View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
[QUOTE=Otto;18395]Got pics?

The streamlined nose sheds the stagnation air better, making for a smaller stagnation point in the first place. Good shedding of stagnant air is why your car collects few bug splatters, and also why your car is about as efficient as any car ever was.
QUOTE]

Here are some pics of my car. The stagnation point is 12" above the road. The radiator air inlet is that little slot next to the passenger side headlight in the first photo and goes about 2/3 of the way between the two headlights.

Also someone asked in one of the recent threads why many front wheel spoilers/air splitters deflect the air downward rather than from side to side. Splitting the air would be somewhat more efficient (except for the slight increase in interference drag with the underside of the car) than compressing the air downwards against the road. But a pure side to side air splitter (shaped somewhat like the mini-boattails behind my rear wheels) would be less forgiving of impacts with road debris. The ideal shape would be a rounded cone of a rubbery material, but the one on my car is a flared rectangle for ease of construction out of coroplast (I used coroplast rather than aluminum sheet for underbody structures ahead of the wheels for its resiliency to impacts with dead possums and the like). This pic is an older one taken before I converted the nosepiece from coroplast to aluminum.