View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
3dplane
EcoModding Apprentice

14 Mirage - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 68.74 mpg (US)
Wasting that heat more efficiently

One of the major enemies of drag is the cooling package with it's gaping
holes in the front of the vehicle. I know a lot of ecomodders are using grill blocks or partial grill blocks due to the obvious overheating problem.

Every time I open a hood on a vehicle I find myself looking for unused space in the engine bay area where an extra radiator could be housed.

The extra radiator could be one or more heater core(s) or what ever fits and could be plumbed in with the cooling system. My car for example has plenty of room between the front bumper and a/c condenser for two heater cores.

I keep thinking if there was more surface area for the coolant to get rid of heat,we could possibly completely do away with the air inlet openings on the front of our vehicles or at least just have a tiny opening and benefit from the aero advantages.

Even if you had a full belly pan,there might be enough ventilation around the wheels/front suspension to be sufficient cooling but this would all depend on vehicle and individual driving style,rout,mods,etc.

Of course plumbing would require special T-fittings or splitters,hoses or adapters but I don't want to get into that part now.

Would this work?
Would it be just a lot of hassle for not so much gains?
What's your take on it guys? I'm just brain storming here.

Barna