View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt
WILL NOT
Not to pick on you or your wife specifically, but this WILL NOT mentality (it's clearly not just your wife that has it) not only toward manual transmission, but toward a LOT of stuff (composting, biking/walking to work if you only live about mile away, having less than 2 children, trying/learning anything in general other than "the missionary" in life). People are not born with this, it's purely cultural. Just because it's pervasive, widely used or widely available doesn't mean it's healthy or wise or responsible or correct. Many people never get educated enough to even realize this, and who can blame them? I just think it's the worst to see people lucky enough (usually wealthy enough) to actually be exposed to the education required to deduce this idea, and still won't budge. I don't assume you or your wife are ignorant, I just wanted to contribute this view to the conversation - food for thought. WILL NOT is a cop out born of a nasty cultural addiction many of us have, and it needs to stop if we expect to sustain any kind of civilization.