View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #82 (permalink)
hondo434
EcoModding Apprentice

Alty-magnet - '06 Nissan Altima SE
90 day: 33.83 mpg (US)

maxi-magnet II - '12 Nissan Maxima S
I have just finished changing out most bulbs in house to cfls' and am ordering some leds' from china. i am ordering one of each size shape and led count to see differences. I have replaced 2-40 watt and 1 -25 watt with in my refrigerator. Initally dropping down in lumens seems drastic, but after awhile you get used to it. They are 18 led with plastic dome for light dispersal. They have been in refrig section about a month and have'nt had an issue with cold. Today I put thr freezer led in, so we'll see how that goes. I ordered a 84 led to put in my wifes' reading lamp. It is a spot type which I think has a nice coverage about 1-2 ft. away. My wife likes the 72 led with plastic globe better, even though it is not as bright. these are the warm shade (Yellowish). She was reading last night and the bulb started to flash on and off rapidly. I removed the bulb and tried it another fixture. It turned on but a section of the leds were not lit maybe 25% around the outside. It may have been a heat issue or a soldering issue. I put a 74 led spot warm out in the security lamp over the front of the garage. That seems to give ample light from 9-10 ft to the driveway. I was surprized. I increased the run time to 10 minutes to give more illumination.
Over all so far I've only had the one issue, so i'm satisfied with results.
I talked with salesman at lowes, he said the leds they which run constantly will start to dim after about a year of usage. my understanding this happens to cfls also.