View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmorgan View Post
Ok, how do I do something similar on a budget of $2000 in stead of $20000.
Mechanical things I can handle, but i get a mental choke when I try to think of front suspension and such. The back end I could manage as a M/C donor, which would be a small part of the budget. I gotta have a good payback time or else it's bust. 75 miles per day work commute, 75mph required part of the way, rough roads required, and weather tolerant required.

and a 40mpg festiva with a blowed up engine.
Not really all that difficult to be honest.... that is if you have half decent welding skills. I've been thinking about this for the past year or so instead of severely aeromodding my street bike.

Take the front half of a wide track quad (such as a racing squad) as your front half... that would solve the entire front end because they already have front control arms and suspension to go with it, as well as a complete braking system and steering package. I would alter the steering ratio a bit so that it wasn't as sensitive and more friendly for road use.

Next would be the middle half. This you would either have to fabricate yourself.... or you can cut up a go kart frame to make a 1+1 seating arrangement. You'd have to mount a seat and figure out whether you want to use hand controls from the motorcycle you will use, or convert it all to foot controls with a hand shifter (this is what i would do).

The back half would simply be a motorcycle frame minus the front end. It would have the motor and transmission, suspension, swingarm, rear wheel, and wiring harness for all your lights.

Then you weld it all up.

Then you will have to make an exterior aerodynamic shell. I'd make mine out of fiberglass because its strong and fairly lightweight (in thin layers) and you can sand it and work it real easy (to me anyway).

Finally, register and insure it as the motorcycle you used, and VWAHLA!! You have a 3 wheeled reverse tadpole design that requires no inspection in most states with dirt cheap insurance and awesome gas mileage! I know i wouldn't mind wearing a helmet still (my state requires it).

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today