Thread: Geo metro EV
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
james.lafrance
EcoModding Lurker

SW2 - '97 Saturn SW2

Metro - '94 Geo Metro
Geo metro EV

I'm another one of those crazy guys with a metro trying to make it electric. I've follow as many of the 1000+ treads of forums with geos, and basically it's gets off topic quickly or is filled with A LOT of info, some of which...well is over my head or pertains to circumstance. I've been trying to get to the bottom of this for a little while now. I'm sure there's a few people like me out there that have a hard time with forums, and would like an easier info access. Could there be a post of motor choices, controller options, and a few details for each. I'm a plumber with partial knowledge of electronics and electric, the confusing part is when I see 48v motor or a 72v motor, but they can be over-volted? or the motor is rated for x-amount of amps, or it weighs at least 100lbs it's a good one? how about fork lift motors? And controllers that one is fuzzy, which one's more efficient or which one will match speed....I think we can all agree that the transfer plates and couplers are a machinist's job or come from a kit, they are hard but are custom, so that subject hardly needs to be touched I believe. Contactors for what I've seen are near the same boat. but in short a reference (perhaps I haven't found it yet) for motors ranging from forklift to high end would help as well as for controllers. I think we needn't discuss batteries as well, that seems to be the one topic that is easy to find.