Thread: Geo metro EV
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
james.lafrance
EcoModding Lurker

SW2 - '97 Saturn SW2

Metro - '94 Geo Metro
Your help is much appreciated folks, I'm still a little fuzzy. If i find a 36v motor from Joe Smoe's forklift, and the info plate still happens to be readable, I'm gonna want to look for how many amps it can handle for a set amount of time(hour)? Would I be able to have 10-6v (or 8 or 12v)batteries then when i get more cash throw in a few extra batteries to get it to 72v? All the voltage of what ever size bat-pack i have would work on a 24/36/48v motor?

Now the brief electrical coarse I believe i understand, as a plumber i install water heaters.... a heater with two 1100 watt heating elements running on 220v AC is going to draw 10 amps. Ohm's law and stuff is within my comprehension, I've also constructed solar panels from individual 3"x6" cells, so I got a relatively good grasp on some basic electronics. From the cells to the charge controller to the inverters, some of which can and does translate to these EV projects.
IN THEORY
So if i find a 24V motor rated at 200amps/hr it will handle 4800 watts
or if i find a 48v motor rated at 110amps/hr it will run at 5280 watts
so I want on that can handle the most amps possible correct?

I've built charger controllers for solar panels, would building a good EV controller be feasible?

And how about matching speeds? that seems to confuse me a bit. I understand the fact that the engine isn't spinning so you don't need a clutch to shift, but once you shift from neutral to 3rd or 4th gear wont the transmission spin the motor if you don't give it 'gas'?

Thanks again for your time and help folks, I really do appreciate it!