View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #212 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesgallon.com View Post
I'm in Finland with mandatory DRL outside of densely populated areas and I've noticed that when every car has the lights on if there's one that forgot the lights it's almost invisible as the brain has adjusted to look only for the lights, not the cars.
That's another danger lurking beyond DRL.
It's not because something is made mandatory that everyone will instantly comply with the regulations.

You've become so used to the headlights, that you have trouble noticing a big car without lights ... but what with a much smaller (motor)cyclist or pedestrian without lights ?

Quote:
I have tried to train myself to wait until I "can see that the road is empty" instead of just checking that "I can't see any cars" when entering.
Keep it up !
We see with our brains, not with our eyes.
The right (open) mindset will reduce inattentional blindness.

Quote:
Also when I'm on the motorcycle I use the high beam at daytime as that makes me a little bit more visible.
So you're compensating for a situation that you feel is endangering you.

At least in Belgium, it's a traffic offense to use the high beam during daytime.
The high beam will make your bike more visible, but at the same time it will make it harder to judge its speed properly, so be aware of that ...

I don't know if it's legal in Finland, but I've had very good results with yellow lights on my motorcycle instead of the common white.