View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #212 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
It's hard to tell what kind of mileage I'm going to be getting. I'm only on my second tank (almost done though). Although I recorded the trip odo after the first tank and will be able to figure out my mpg for the second, the trip odo reset button has stopped working and I'll have to investigate that for convenience's sake. I've been fooling around with the timing way too much to get anything consistent. I discovered that my oil leak was originating from my distributor mount to the head, so I just put on some gasket maker and had to start all over again with the timing. I was reading some of Rick's material over at metroxfi.com, and he says +5 is the optimal timing. I try to get it somewhere between 5 and 7, but the mark on top of my crank pulley kind of "wiggles" a bit (+/- 2) when I am using the timing light (does this mean something?), so I assume the timing as where I see the line the most. Last time I set the timing though (to about 7 since 5 felt real rumbly without much result when opening the throttle) it smoked like a mutha going up a small incline. I think I either need to resolve the wiggle, or gain more of a working knowledge of what the engine feels like when the timing is too advanced or too retarded, because I'm not acute enough so far to discern much difference but smoking and the rumbling when throttle is applied. I'm still not totally sure I know what a ping sounds like.