View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post

In fact I have read from the manufacturer that they do NOT recommend always topping off to the full line. Their position is to NOT add until the level drops down to the ADD line.

Now, one possible reason for rock's observation is that when at the full line his engine has what is called windage, which is caused by the crankshaft physically dipping into the oil and whipping it around. Windage is bad not only because it takes horsepower; it whips the oil into an aeriated froth which then does not do as good a job at providing a lubricating film.

Go ahead and run it down to the add line. Or even start things off at the add line. It is possible to successfully run engines below the add line too as the drag racers have found out but for peace of mind I wouldn't go there.
That's basically what I do. When it gets to the Add line I add 1/2 quart, which gets it 1/2 way up. I have an internal timing-chain that is supposed to last a lifetime (not a timing belt). If it gets dry in there the engine-oil-lubricated timing-chain can fail. Since I have an interference engine, a broken timing chain means a lot of smashed valves. That's not a good thing.

On average I think I add about 1/2 quart for every 1500 miles.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society