View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Squids, cuttlefish, and octopi are jet propelled and don't have tails. When moving fast, they combine their tentacles into the shape of a boattail rather than a Kammback. But if all else was equal, a Kammbacked tentacle package would be preferable from a predator avoidance standpoint, since it doesn't stick out as far as a boattailed tentacle package and would be harder for a pursuing predator to grab. So a boattail must provide drag reduction and higher speed benefits that counteract its additional length and mass

So far, the boattail on my car hasn't been a detriment in parking or in traffic and I've been driving with it on my car for 2 years.
Hmmm. Interesting about parking/traffic.

Squid go tentacle-forward, gathered into a fairing shape, though octupi have tentacles trailing, also in streamlined configuration. Both are jet propelled, as opposed to wagging their tails like normal fish and dolphins, as I understand it.

BTW, have you tested your car with vs. without the front end mods, but with rear end mods, to see how much the front fairing helps?