View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
dam/pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac257 View Post
So does an air dam replace a front pan or work in conjunction with it? If you intend to smooth the area below truck with a full belly pan would the air dam help or hurt you due to the increased frontal area?

Don
The lowest drag concept cars run belly-panned airdams ahead of the bellypan as well as lower the nose and raise the tail with active suspension.
My resources also report that there are diminishing returns with respect to the depth of the dam vs drag,claiming,as mentioned,that at some point the aggravated frontal area starts to undo the benefit.
bondo ran into this on his F-150 and had to trim it back which was heart-breaking to me,as if you've ever seen his work in person,it would be tantamount to Michaelangelo chopping the head of the Pieta.
Ford Probe-IV ran a smooth-bellied airdam which lowered at about 40 mph to block air from the full-bellypanned underside.
In the last couple days,I've almost completed the airdam for my T-100 which has languished for 5-years now with an un-completed nose.I'll begin a thread on that shortly,and have photos,if Al can break free to help scan and Photo-Shop.
I'm at 6-inches ground clearance with a flexible lower urethane rubber chin which already 'kisses' some curbs during parking.I don't dare risk going lower.

Last edited by aerohead; 08-14-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
hat4rvn (03-17-2018)