View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tweety
Out of my mind, back in 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automcdonough View Post
sportbike gearboxes are built into the bottom end of the engine, to use it will involve a bit of work. They also are built for an engine with considerably less low-end torque and a slipper clutch. It might separate ok and all you'd have to make are some covers to hold the oil in, but IMO dumping the gears is one of my favorite advantages of going electric.

As far as the ratio question, my vote is for the higher one (3.58).

What helped me make this decision for the E30 was looking up the transmission gear ratios. It turned out that 4th gear was 1:1, so that helped me get a feel for how much torque I was dealing with comparing stock motor torque to electric motor specs. You most likely don't have torque data on those suckers, maybe the best best is to set the max rpm at the highest speed you'd ever have the balls to go on that bike and pick the ratio from there. If you pick something reasonable like 100mph you could probly get away with something ~5:1. If it turns out to be fast enough at a drag strip then you could always swap the sprocket out, chains are an advantage with this.
Why make it complicated using a gearbox that needs to have a housing built? Like I said there are plenty of gearboxes with separate housings, and jackbauer obviously have found yet another option...

Dumping the gears have definete advantages, agreed... But given a choice of a large heavy motor on a bike, or a smaller, lighter engine with a gearbox (that's likely to be heavy, but decidely less heavy than the larger or second motor) my choice is simple... Gearbox it is... On a car it's an entirely different matter...