Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
@Arragonis: It doesn't matter whether humans have already caused detectable global warming.
It does matter. Its actually core to the debate. Most reconstructions, apart from the ones used by the IPCC, accept it has been warmer - a lot warmer - than it is now. If it isn't warmer then we aren't having an effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
There's very little debate that the GHG's that we are releasing in unprecedented quantities will cause climate change if they haven't yet. Regardless of whether it has happened or will someday happen, our response should be the same: reduce GHG emissions when we can.
There isn't debate that GHGs will cause climate change. There IS debate about whether the amount we are releasing has, does and will cause it.

But above all I accept the basic point you are making

I think we are all coming here for the right basic reasons, to reduce our effect on the planet as well as personal costs and of course the politics of oil. It effects us in different ways depending on where we are in the world. We may not agree what the effect we are trying to prevent or change is but its all good.

As Neil has said maybe we can have a look at the book and see if it offers something new. I applaud and respect his effort to get people to look at something he believes in, but at the same time I don't agree with his premise.

Now, on with the FE increasing...