View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Aerohead Streamlining Template

This post is an attempt to clear up what shape the Aerohead Streamlining Template is.

This picture shows just one circle superimposed over the Template.

The next picture shows that there is, to best of my knowledge, only one circle and a tangent line that make up the shape of the Template.

This last picture shows that the template appears to be straight in this section, and that this straight area begins around the 65% mark on the Template length.

The main reason that I think the Template is straight in this area, is that it has to be, and for several reasons:

1) Aerohead has stated on several occasions that the 'tail' of the Template can not exceed an angle of 22° to avoid flow separation.

2) Well, at the 65% length of the Template, the angle is already at this point. Therefore the remainder has to maintain this angle to adhere to the 22° rule. This dictates replication by forming a straight line to the tail end at the 100% point.

The curvature of the Template up to the 65% point, at least as close as the pictorial can be rendered on my CAD program, shows that a single curvature provides a very close replication of the Template curve.

If this is really the case, and everyone thinks this is reasonable, then a math model of these shapes can be developed for future use by others on the forum.

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image01.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	6600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image02.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	6601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image03.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6602  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
davidgrey50 (08-17-2010), ECONORAM (03-11-2011)