View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
sevenspeed
EcoModding Lurker

d16, b16, d17 efficiency comparisons? looking to buy newer civic

I'm looking for a hatchback Honda with 5spd and want to know the difference in actual mileage between the different motors. The D16 at 108hp is enough for me but wonder how the 2 stage vtec d16 or b16 comapres as well as the newer d17 with 3 stage vtec. They have more power but because they have a low and high rpm cam profile and may also run less valves I'm trying to find out how they compare. I don't know how to read cam profiles and that would be the big difference.
I like the older ones an my 89 is great but being in Michigan rust is an issue. So a newer car would be better but then your into the higher powered motors. Also the cars look bigger and probably heavier. Is there a big difference in mileage between 99 and 02 generations? Also do the hatches do better because of aerodynamics? I like the style and room better but sedans and coupes are much easier to find especially since I don't want an automatic at all.
I get better mileage then the Fit claims without doing anything other then mildly accelerating and coasting a bit before a stop. So I don't find the EPA ratings to mean much.