View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
autoteach
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
Well, I am not sure which portion you are calling opinion that is not fact. I work on plenty of cars (check the username) and I have seen the difference in inflation of 4psi effect wear pattern either way. Or was it my opinion that it saves fuel a misrepresentation of facts or opinions. Is it the suspension and drivetrain wear? The tires are an active part of the vehicles suspension, stiffening that portion causes wear at others, that is not an opinion. And I qualified my safety concerns as opinion.

I am being civil, and what I said to the OP is exactly what is occurring here as well as what has occurred on the numerous threads on this topic. There is about as many people on each side of the fence, and those that have weighed in before and were dismissed, or realized the futility of the situation, are probably going to sit this one out. I dont blame them. I suppose I should have sat it out and just let the OP get the onslaught without the explanation. This topic becomes a hostile environment, and I believe it to be more so those that feel they have been cheated out of fuel economy by the manufacturers rather than those that believe otherwise. I wont reply to this thread again, and not because I want to get the last word in, but because there is no other reply necessary for the OP to see that there is no way that he will ever convince ~50% of this population that the other ~50% of the population is correct (and it goes both ways).

My words of advice, inflate your tires to the pressures that you see fit. If you drive an suv, 32psi should be a minimum despite what the manufacturer says (ford). Live with the consequences of your inflation, be it + or - MPG, handling, tire wear, noise, or component failures. Learn from that, and don't try to share what you have learned from it because those that believe otherwise already know your full of ****