View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
vtec-e
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I put up 100,000km on my last set of tires on my civic. They are currently retired in the shed with about 4mm left on them and it is quite even across the tread.
Re: traction. I gave up searching for scientific data on traction at elevated pressures. Stopping distances in the wet too for that matter.
I will say this though: If the wheels bounce under braking or cornering due to being so hard, braking is seriously compromised. I've experienced it and it's not pretty. Thats not to say braking is compromised in all other situations. On the contrary, i "feel" it is better, as is the general consensus here too. But i have yet to find ANY scientific data on that, other than the stuff the NHTSA did, but only up to 32psi if i remember correctly. Which is suspicious and smells like a conspiracy......
I'd love an accelerometer or something to measure it properly but alas, they are a little pricey.
I'd like to also add that inflating to sidewall from new will most likely result in centre wear as it has also happened to me also. Inflate normally for the first 500 miles then sidewall 'em. Well, thats what i did and it worked. My yaris was sidewalled from when i got it and i figure there was maybe 10,000 miles on them. That was at the end of 2008. They have had many more miles put on them and there is no centre wear.
So if the OP could provide data that shows a loss of traction, in the wet, at sidewall that would be great.

ollie