View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
I have seen the difference in inflation of 4psi effect wear pattern either way. Or was it my opinion that it saves fuel a misrepresentation of facts or opinions. Is it the suspension and drivetrain wear? The tires are an active part of the vehicles suspension, stiffening that portion causes wear at others, that is not an opinion. And I qualified my safety concerns as opinion.
I tend to read owners manuals whenever I'm a passenger in someones car for a longer car ride, I've read alot of owners manuals and they tend to have this pattern that boils down to, If you have snow tires or are driving on the highway you should increase your tire pressure by 4psi to decrees tire wear, this is seems to be consistent among most of the owners manual I've read.
So in that aspect increasing your tire pressure by at least 4psi is fallowing the auto manufacturers recommendations.
There have also been a number of studies, like people have already posted links to, that boil down to say that going up to the designed pressure does help with traction and wear and no reviewed studies that have shown that you should lower your tire pressure.
If you have a study that says lower pressure for modern tires (not bias ply) is better then please tell us about it, if you worked on someone else's car and noticed that the tire wear was uneven then you need to give a detailed history of how many miles they put on those tires at what pressure under what conditions, high wear down the center could be because their tire pressure was to low, not to high, with radial tires the center of the tread has more support due to the how the tire is constructed so it doesn't cup and pull in like the older bias ply tires did when they were under inflated.