View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Phantom
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Throttle position indicator circuit

I have several projects that I am working or going to be working on this idea I have had for a while. What I want to do is add a bar of LEDs to show the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage as a percent. Similar to KITT from Knight Rider KNT2000's Customs and Restoration Parts :: LED Green Gas Pedal LOL. The difference is the lights would be one the dash.

Here is what I know the TPS runs from 0-5v IIRC getting percent from voltage will not be hard as I believe it is linear but can quickly check with my scanner/programmer. I would like to have an extra LED light for each increase in TP% starting at 5,10,15,20,25,50,75,100%. So at 5% 1 LED would be lit at 10% 2 would be lit.

Unfortunately it has been some time since I worked with circuits an I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to get a 0-5v reference to turn on the lights I want. That is where I need some help/guidance.

I want to go for something more simple than a Arduino hoping I can do it with a IC or logic gate. I guess the easiest way to do this would be to use a battery tester or a fuel gauge to give the reading but I would like to have it as a light bar.

Thanks for the help and I will keep everyone posted as I start working on it.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG