View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Jyden
Master EcoModder

Enduro E-bike - '11 PowerPedals Enduro
90 day: 2236 mpg (US)

Jota - '14 Toyota Yaris Hybrid H1
90 day: 53.11 mpg (US)
Different on wet and dry

On the wet:

Greater surface arear (broader tires or low infaltion) will reduce grip, as pressure pr sq inch are reduced.

Grip/traction are also very much down the the rubber compound. Soft rubber = more grip, and wears easy.

Higher inflation (providing good compund) will go through water better beacuse of pressure per sq inch are higher.

On the dry:
More surface arear = more grip - best is slicks. Boarder tire = more grip and traction, but also equals more rolling resistance.

Harder rubber compund = less wear and less grip

Higher pressure = less wear because the tires dosent flex as much, and therefore dosent build up as much heat.

Higher pressuer = more milage due to: lower rolling resistance, less flex, and a smaller contact arear.

Higher pressure migh lead to early wear out on the rubber bruches in the suspension on some cars, if they are not top quality, as the bruches are subjected to stronger forces.

Higher pressure = better cornering, as car dosent sway so much

Higher pressure = longer braking distances due to less contact surface, and on very uneven surfaces could lead to "jumping" which can further prolong brakingdistances as contact with the road are lost in the jumps.

I drive with 2.8 bar instead of the recommended 2 in my tires, and havent seen much negative effects, but if I go to 3 bar, the handling og the car goes bad op uneven surfaces, and braking distances are longer. Car also starts to Jump.