Thread: Motivation?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
40 years ago before the first energy crisis, I read about an Opel Kadett station wagon winning a fuel economy contest at something like 125 MPG.

They used the P&G technique or accelerating to 45 MPH and coasting to 15 MPH engine off.

The only other mods were a block to limit accelerator pedal travel, disconnecting the secondary on the two barrel carb, and radial tires inflated to higher pressure.

Of course those techniques date back to WW2 gas rationing.

The first really economical car I bought was a 1984 CRX 1.5, serial number 1018 made in July 1983. I averaged 44 MPG in that car.

My recent patent is based on the belief dating back 40 years, that if you can make a vehicle that has pulse and glide capability without the necessity to change speed and use the mass of the vehicle as capacitive energy storage, you will go a long way toward burying the OPEC monopoly.

When I first really looked at the rotary aircraft engine of WW1, and realized the two critical advantages of the design, I started with the idea of an engine that could transform itself into a flywheel for energy storage. After building a demonstration model of the engine, I discovered, almost by accident, a configuration that allowed a direct in wheel drive with infinitely variable displacement.

Combined with short term energy storage the 40 year dream of pulse and glide without vehicle speed changes has been accomplished. Now the difficult job of demonstrating the concept with a working prototype has begun, because most people won't believe the potential benefit, either due to alternate agendas, or some lack of understanding, until they are shown indisputable evidence of the benefits.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 08-22-2010 at 07:43 PM..