View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #189 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artric View Post
Can you explain how to calculate MPGe?
Oh boy. I could spend hours explaining that one.

It depends on what you're trying to achieve by using electricity instead of gas. If you're in it for the engineering challenge or CO2, I recommend 16KWh = 1 gal. So every night I plug in is equivalent to about 0.06gal. By a cost-equivalent method, it would be 24KWh=1gal for me.

(Miles driven) / (mpg) = gallons burned. Then add in the adjustment (e.g. 0.06gal), and divide miles driven by adjusted gallons to get mpge.

You've been using MIMA longer than I have... how many gallons does it save you each time you charge the battery, and do you have KaW data from your charger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artric
Do you have any idea roughly of how much extra power it takes to power the BCM? Have you tested with a Kill-A-Watt?
I do not yet have that data. Based on my experience so far, I'd say starting with a full SoC gauge is worth dozens of Wh, so I'm sure powering the BCM at night will pay off.

If you go with the faster charger you mentioned, the BCM and fan wouldn't have to run for twelve hours like mine do, so charging efficiency would increase as a result.