View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Olympiadis
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by saand View Post
olympiadis sounds like a very good improvement and solid measurement data. I have added you into the table in the wiki, hope you dont mind.

If anyone else has improvement data please post, 33% improvement has to be close to best case improvement. It would be good to get a accurate average so anyone with not so great improvements don't be shy. Naturally the improvement depends on changes in driving habits but i assume there are people out there that have installed a scangauge and change some driving habits but not started all of the hypermiling techniques which might get only a 10% improvement.
No, I don't mind. Here's the rest of the information:
Cost $160
Time to perform mod: About 2 hours to read instructions thoroughly and go through and set all of the x-gauge functions.
FE average before Scangauge = 27.312 MPG ( No highway driving )
FE first tank after Scangauge = 34.9755 MPG ( No highway driving )
FE second tank after Scangauge= 36.534 MPG( No highway driving )

The Scangauge made no difference of course while using cruise-control on the highway. Hypermiling on relatively flat highway returns some positive results, but are relatively small. The numbers stated above were from tanks limited to short commute driving where hypermiling makes the most difference. If I combine highway tanks to before and after Scangauge, then the % gain would be less.

My wife had very good results while hypermiling on the highway in a mountainous area, but there's no way to separate that data from the rest of the driving. We live in a fairly flat area.

Two factors that contribute to the level of positive gain with this car is that the idle in-gear uses quite a bit more fuel than idle in-neutral. Also our throttle is very sensitive with poor part-throttle resolution, making it easy to overshoot the amount of throttle necessary. It has to do with the factory design of the throttle blade, and the cable attachment to the throttle lever. I'm working on a solution to that to make hypermiling easier.

One big factor that we're not taking advantage of is that we do not do EOC engine-off coasting.