Thread: Aero hub caps
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
I think that if they went out to the tire it would make it worse.

These pans without any tubing are not too bad (can just hear them with widows rolled up). with tubing I can not hear it at all. side note: if you added more bolts it might also fix the issue.

As for the mat in the middle, I do not know if it would help. there is nothing touching the pizza pan from the bolts to the middle.

I have rear wheel skirts, as for the front, I am not sure yet.
Good to know. Thanks!

My concern about noise is that the pans might act like cymbals or drum heads, what with aero excitation and transmitted vibes through the tire/wheel. A spot of Dynamat at the center (point of max occilation?) of each pan might keep it from vibrating, or at least change the frequency.

Now, good as this fairing of the outer surfaces of wheels is, you still have the problem of poor aero flow at fronts and backs of tires, and inner surfaces of wheels. So, flow fences and/or fairings are needed for that, too.

Hucho shows Opal Calibra in wind tunnel, and smoke trail from nose moves laterally outboard at about 60 degrees to hit and move around tire/whee. So, fairings need to be pidgen-toed and cant inboard at front, for front wheels. Rear wheel fairings presumably Prius-like, but better, although more in line with the long axis of the car.